Our Green Initiatives
Sustainability is a key ingredient at Signature Breads: after all, the natural wholesomeness of our products depends on careful stewardship of the environment. From technology innovations to product packaging to transportation, we continually look for ways to minimize our carbon footprint, improve our energy efficiency and reduce waste. Here are the highlights of our sustainability initiatives.
Investments in Sustainability
Over 10% of our earnings are reinvested in green initiatives annually.
- Lighting and lighting management initiatives in both plants have reduced energy usage by half.
- Investments in new technology have reduced the need for printed materials and mailing.
- Operations on both coasts have reduced transportation requirements — and carbon emissions.
We work with partners who help us achieve our sustainability goals.
- We print our marketing materials at a certified FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) printer who uses only soy and vegetable-based ink products.
- We partner with EnerNOC to reduce electricity usage during times of peak demand. By participating, our organization can help protect the community from blackouts, keep electricity rates stable, and help the environment by providing a clean alternative to fossil fuel-burning peaking power plants.
- Our packaging is BPA free.
Waste Reduction and Recycling
Waste reduction is an important part of our mission.
- We have achieved a 60% reduction in waste through recycling. Plastic, paper and cardboard recycling has removed more than 100 tons from the waste stream annually. We also recycle food waste, either for animal feed or compost at local farms.
- We use corrugated shipping products that are made from recycled materials with 100% post-consumer content.
- Our cases and poly liners are made of recyclable materials.
- Overstock bread products are donated to local charities.
Environmental stewardship is a value we share with the farmers who grow our grain, the artisans who craft our bread and the partners who are helping us be come a cleaner, greener baking company.
We’re making progress every day.